Diabetes is not like any other disease of the body. It is indeed a disorder of the body which may sometimes be threatening the individual with diabetic condition. Diabetes can attack people of any age. If it is with a child, it is recognized as juvenile diabetes or type 1 diabetes mellitus. Its effect is too bad when the child is lacking insulin secretion in the pancreas. Following this condition of the child with juvenile diabetes, obesity and other diabetes complications may arise with any internal parts of the body.
Many risks like heart disease, blurring vision, itching at various parts of the skin, and wounds not healing soon may follow in the days to come. As such, it is the great responsibility of the parents to pay special care on the child rolling the days with juvenile diabetes. It’s really a burden to the elders when they are bound to treat a child at very early age with diabetes type 1. The parents should have thorough knowledge about juvenile diabetes and the signs of diabetes when it comes to protecting the child from future risks.
Signs of diabetes in childhood
Most of the signs are common for diabetes type 1or diabetes type 2.
Some of them are described here.
1. Frequent urination: Generally the children will be urinating at any time as they feel. However, if a child is prone to juvenile diabetes the frequency increases. What causes frequent urination? It is due to the excess sugar, not converted to energy, finding a way to get out through urine. As the blood glucose makes the urine denser there is a natural urge to let urine more frequent.
2. Excessive thirst: As the water source is getting out due to frequent urination, there is the feeling of excessive thirst. Thirst for water is not with glassful but somewhat more with jug.
3. Fatigue: The child suffering from juvenile diabetes feels fatigue most of the time due to insufficient insulin secretion for producing energy from the foods consumed.
4. Dullness: Dullness follows fatigue, and the child is seen not interested in anything for active participation with others. Even looking TV may be a hateful thing.
5. Itching on skin: Since the blood is getting saturated with sugar, there is low chance for free flow of blood and regeneration of blood cells resulting in skin infection and itching at any part of the body.