The common type of allergy is caused by common house dust. Many people sneeze or sniffle in dusty areas. The components of house dust that can cause allergic reaction include molds, pet and human dander, and waste of cockroaches. However, the dust mite- also found in ordinary house dust–is usually the major cause of the allergy.
Dust mites are microscopic, spider-like creatures found in homes. They usually stay in carpets, upholstered furniture, and mattresses and can thrive wherever there is humidity in generally warm location. These creatures feed on shed scales from human skin. It is the waste products of dust mites that can cause allergic reaction. These waste products can continue to cause allergic reaction even after the mite that produced them has already died.
Research has shown that patients taking extra steps to avoid dust mite in bedrooms can lead to a significant decrease in allergic reactions and symptoms. The reason for the focus on the bedroom is that many people spend almost one-third or more of their day that place. This is the ideal location for the greatest concentration of dust mites in the house.
Avoiding exposure to dust mites is an important thing to do in preventing dust allergy. Make sure that the room is always clean and well ventilated to discourage colonies of dust mites.